Monday 6 August 2007

Configuring Linux WiFi (wireless) without a GUI

I put together a collection of bits to make a small sever this weekend. I wanted to use Debian Etch, but it doesn't support my RaLink RT2561/RT61 wireless card out of the box and the build & install instructions for the driver were hopeless.

I decided to use Ubuntu 7.04 Server instead -- it supports the RaLink chipset out of the box. But configuring the card was a nightmare -- everywhere I looked for help suggested I fire up the network configuration GUI which I don't have as I installed the server version. I almost gave up, but did try a find/grep in /etc to see what I could find. And there it is, plain and simple at the bottom /etc/network/interfaces:

iface ra0 inet dhcp
wireless-essid whisperingwind
wireless-key FFFFFFFFFF

The last line is the WEP key. So all that was needed was to edit this file and insert the appropriate values. Easy when you know.

No comments: